Monday, December 20, 2010

Glorious Oatmeal

Lately, I have been on an oatmeal kick. I think this is my first one ever in my life, but I simply can't get enough. First of all, it is warming, and even though Dallas is not too chilly (i.e. the high today is 74), it is a wintery thing to wake up to. And Christmas is less than a week away! Furthermore, the health benefits of oatmeal are astounding. It can lower blood cholesterol, it has lots of fiber, it keeps one feeling full longer because of its complex carbohydrates, and it stabilizes blood sugar levels. What more can one ask for? Oh yeah, and by simply adding a few ingredients it becomes delightful to one's taste buds!


In today's oatmeal, I started by cooking oats and oat bran with water. Then I mixed in about 1 Tbsp pumpkin, 1 Tbsp homemade honey cinnamon almond butter, a couple dashes of cinnamon, and about 1 Tbsp ground flax meal. Next, I added about 1/4 cup homemade coconut granola, and I sliced in 1/2 banana, and splashed in some milk. Let me tell you, it was a pleasant, energizing start to the day.   


No comments:

Post a Comment